Saturday, May 28, 2011

A FLASHBACK ON MARK´S BIG ART SHOW - 3


***


Mark welcomes visitors to the art show


***

A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A MATURE MAN
AN INSIGHT INTO MARK´S ART SHOW AND HIS FUTURE



It seems to be weird to be interviewing him from Buenos Aires. Fortunately,we can count on the Internet. This is what he had to say, or better, answer to the questions that were sent to him.

***
THE INTERVIEW

So Mark, did the art show meet your expectations?

It certainly did. I tried not to go with expectations. The only one I had was to get feedback on my new body of art. I admit I also had an ecperience of myself, that I´d be able to present myself confidently and be myself.

How long has it been since your last exhibition?

It has actually been seven years since my last art show.

You made some interesting additions to the show which people have enjoyed immensely: the introduction of a performance piece and some cool dj music, both of which added a twist to the event.

Waxie most certainly added a twist by making the event untraditional and fun. I was given the opportunity to create the kind of show I wanted and having a performance piece was a dream. Waxie was an extension of not only my art but also who I am as a person.

You also exhibit the so-called "wire art". How is it shown to the public?

My partner suggested showing it covered by "cloches", that is bell-shaped glass covers that allow the pieces to be seen while protecting them at the same time.

Which changes have you experienced lately?

The biggest change was me and how I am as a person now and how I approach my art. Acquiring a studio has been one of the most important changes to help me focus.

Which do you consider your biggest change?

Welcoming guests to show. I am a much more confident person and artist and this helped me to create a successful show and feel a successful person and artist.

Has your art changed, too?

Regarding my art, it continues to have a thread of similarity to past work but has matured both in concept and technique. It has also been a new experience to be so involved with the hanging of my art in the frame shop where the show took place. I was challenged on the space, something which I also enjoyed.

How has the experience of this new show affected you?

It has definitely helped with what is happening now. I am inspired and energized and, though there are no clear answers yet, I already have a direction.

You have some pending plans regarding your graffiti art and the book you are writing and illustrating. Do you think the recent events have had an influence on these plans?

This experience hasn´t influenced my graffiti but hasn´t distracted me from continuing on this path. Regarding the book, I am feeling some pressure and concern that it will not get done. The children´s book is still very important to me and I plan to continue. I need to be better organized with my time and priorities and it is a challenge.

What are you currently engaged in?
I am interested in making my art known beyond the United States. I am currently formatting images into a special website calle "Call to Artists" that offers opportunities to artists locally, nationally and internationally.

What does the future hold?
I want to try some new ideas but first I want to digest all the wonderful feedback from the show. I have already come to some conclusions. I certainly want more exposure, and that is always the tricky part.


***
A TOUR OF THE GALLERY
The Portraits




ELIZABETHAN WOMAN



BLIND MAN
Mark by his portrait at the show



SELF - PORTRAIT
Dyptich



Earlier portraits



Three of the most recent portraits


The Sculptures



WAXIE WITH BUTTERFLY
Human Sculpture
Paint and real butterfly


THE MANNIQUIN
with Butterflies



JELLYFISH BABY
Wire Art



Jellyfish Baby
Detail



ANACHROMANTIC
Wire Art



Anachromantic
Detail

*******

No comments:

Post a Comment